Wednesday 10 February 2016

Font Research for My Film Poster

My genre is horror, therefore I must select a font that clearly portrays that my film is horror.
An example of successful fonts used in horror poster are shown in these posters:



Both these films share a very similar font, it is spooky and eery, it has a slight glow to the background this gives a sort of mysterious feel for the audience. Parts of the letters glow more than others, this makes me think that there may be some sort of possession or evil that is involved in the film. The difference between the two is that 'Shrooms' is in capitals whereas 'the strangers' is in lower case, to me capitals gives it a more bold look and it stands out more, as a pose to lower case where it blends into the background slightly more but at the same time it has a spookier feel to it.


The use of red and orange is more gory and violent. These colour suggest that the film is going to be more of a slasher horror film, it may contain more blood and torture compared to whites and silvers. Both these films are in capital letters in a bright colour on a dark background, clearly the producers want the name of film to stand out above everything else. 


These two have a very similar style, they are almost the same fonts, what is interesting is that whilst the fonts are so simple, the spookiness and supernatural feel to it is strong that by just looking at this you can get chills. The small details that have been added to the letters is what makes it so successful at projecting the feeling of the movie onto the audience. 

From looking at all of this I have grasped onto the sort of font I am looking to find, the more gory my film will be means that the lettering will be more bold and stand out, whereas if my film is focusing on supernatural aspect the colours have to be dull and spooky. 

When looking for fonts I will be using the following websites:



No comments:

Post a Comment